Every once in a while I get back from flying and have only the sleeve left and I have left the kite stake back at the flying field. If I go back to look for immediately, I will probably find it. But if I for some reason wait until the day after, it’s gone! 🙁 So with only one left in the kite bag, it was about time to make a few new ones.
Some time ago I bought a small bag filled with used golf balls for next to no money. I also bought a ten-pack of really cheap steel tent pegs to use for the stakes.
I cut the “head” of the tent peg using a hack saw and with my electric drill, I drilled a hole 2/3 into the golf ball. I pushed the cut off tent peg into the hole – a really snug fit – and the kite stake suddenly looked sharp! I dug out a piece of scrap ripstop nylon and cut a piece for a ribbon to tie onto the stake.
Then I made a sleeve for the kite stake from some other leftover material and … VOILA! A brand new kite stake!
…and while I was at it, I made a second one too. Because I’m quite good at leaving these guys behind me at the flying field! 😉